OU gymnastics program rose from humble beginnings
Oklahoma's football team has won seven national championships. The men's gymnastics program has won eight.
The football team boasts 153 All-Americans. The men's gymnastics team claims 231.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Five Heisman Trophy winners played at Oklahoma. Seven Sooners have won the Nissen-Emery Award, considered the Heisman Trophy of gymnastics
OU football began in 1895. OU men's gymnastics began in 1966.
Seven years later, a teacher at Chicago's Homewood-Flossmoor High School named Paul Ziert accepted a job coaching men's gymnastics at OU. When he arrived in Norman, he found he would be coaching in a building with no name, only a number.
Building 24 was hardly fit to practice gymnastics in. Fearing the roof might cave in, scaffolding was installed to hold it up during its latter years, and it constantly leaked.
“The room where we worked out was the theater where they showed movies and did entertainment,” Ziert said. “Up on the stage were the rings, and we had to run from the concession stand into the main room to do vaulting.”
Yet Ziert made it work. It took him three years to recruit the athletes he needed to compete, and one gymnast to make that team elite.
His name was Bart Conner.
Conner was the youngest member of the 1976 Olympic team, which was the same year he became a freshman at Oklahoma. He led OU to its first national championship in 1977 and helped the Sooners repeat in 1978.
“There were very, very good athletes on the team at that time,” Ziert said.
Ziert saw Conner become OU's first Nissen-Emery winner in 1981, paving the way for a succession of Sooner greats.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11190Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11015Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9873Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8372Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4481Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4243Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4027OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M