OU, Nebraska talking about possible future football series
The two-game set would revolve around the 50 anniversary of the 1971 Game of the Century.
NORMAN — Oklahoma and Nebraska have officials have discussed a possible future football series, perhaps in 2021, which would be the 50-year anniversary of the original Game of the Century.
Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne confirmed to USA Today that he has had discussions with OU, and Sooner sources said OU AD Joe Castiglione instigated the idea of a series in 2020-21 or 2021-22, with the 2021 game to be played in Norman, site of Nebraska's 35-31 victory in 1971 that remains one of the greatest college football games ever.
With Nebraska's departure to the Big Ten after this season, OU-Nebraska, once one of the sport's grandest rivalries, will go dormant, with no future games scheduled.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort