OU notebook: Bob Stoops isn't sure if Landry Jones will return to Sooners
Coach says Jones has plenty of time to analyze the pros and cons after Friday's game vs. Iowa
Videoview all videos
Dec 20Jenni Carlson and Travis Haney discuss the upcoming...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“When you're talking about major organs getting damaged, you have to look really hard about playing ball,” Norvell said. “There was never a hesitation or any doubt. Jaz wants to play.
“It's something he wants to do; it's important (to him). You can only play football when you're young. When you get old like me, you just wish you could play. The kid wants to live his life the way he wants to. As long as the doctors think it's safe enough for him to play, I'm all for it.”
PHOENIX HAS CONNECTION TO FORMER OU COMMIT BRADLEY
In the home of the Arizona Diamondbacks, Stoops was asked Monday about former Broken Arrow quarterback Archie Bradley.
Committed to play at OU, Bradley signed with the Diamondbacks just before the August deadline. Bradley, the No. 7 overall pick in the June MLB Draft, throws in the upper 90s.
“He was everything you love in an athlete – talent, toughness, a leader, a winner,” Stoops said. “We really liked Archie.”
Bradley sure looks like a can't-miss kind of guy, but Stoops joked (sort of) that he's not passing on the next Brandon Weeden.
“If things don't work out, somewhere down the road he could come back at 26 or 27, like some of these other guys and play football for us,” Stoops said. “We really loved him.”
Stoops said he wasn't surprised by Bradley's decision, given where he was selected. Bradley received a reported $5 million signing bonus.
“We thought, in the end, from talking to other people, that he would have too good of an opportunity not to do it,” he said.
Guard Adam Shead, who missed the Oklahoma State game, did not practice and was wearing a protective boot over his lower right leg. He is not expected to play Friday, even though he's on the depth chart behind Gabe Ikard. … Iowa sent home a player, but coach Kirk Ferentz declined to identify the player. … The Sooners will practice again this afternoon at Corona del Sol, though players will not be made available for interviews after practice. ... Stoops was again asked if his brother, Mike, might rejoin the staff. “I don’t have a spot,” he said. “I don’t have an update.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 46837Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15035Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9615Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8305Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8125Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7398Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7351Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena