OU, OSU players make preseason watch lists
Oklahoma's Demontre Hurst and Tony Jefferson were named to the 2012 preseason Bednarik Award watch list Monday along with Oklahoma State's Brodrick Brown.
The award is given annually to the best defensive player in college football.
Hurst was a second-team All-Big 12 selection in 2011, leading the Sooners with 11 pass breakups and recording 55 tackles. The senior is a two-year starter.
Jefferson, entering his junior year, led OU with four interceptions in 2011 and had 74 tackles. He's played a hybrid defensive back role the last two seasons, but will be a more traditional safety in 2012. He was the Big 12's Defensive Freshman of the Year in 2010.
Brown ranked second in the Big 12 and 14th nationally with five interceptions last year. He was also one of the 15 semifinalists for the 2011 Jim Thorpe Award and one of the eight semifinalists for the 2011 Lott IMPACT Trophy.
OU, OSU players on Maxwell list
Three Oklahoma players and one Oklahoma State player have been named to the preseason Maxwell Award watch list.
The Sooners' Landry Jones, Kenny Stills and Dominique Whaley, and the Cowboys' Joseph Randle were part of the list released Monday by the Maxwell Football Club. The award is given to the nation's outstanding player.
Semifinalists for the Maxwell and Bednarik Awards will be announced Oct. 29, and the three finalists for each award will be unveiled Nov. 19.
The winners will be announced as part of the Home Depot ESPNU College Football Awards Show held on Dec. 6.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 33223Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15512Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9978Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9860Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9472Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8063Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8003Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister