OU quarterback Drew Allen makes his case to be No. 2 quarterback for Sooners
NORMAN — Bob Stoops says his Sooners don't have their “definitive” No. 2 quarterback just yet.
But there's no question sophomore Drew Allen appeared most qualified to man the job following Saturday's Red-White Spring Game.
Videoview all videos
Apr 16The Sooners' superstars barely played, but Bob Stoops was...
Apr 16Berry Tramel and Jake Trotter review the Red-White...
Photoview all 25 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Outplaying Blake Bell, Allen completed 16 of 29 passes for 179 yards and a touchdown, propelling the Red to a 20-14 victory over the White before a crowd of 25,598 at Owen Field.
“He should take confidence from the way he played, whether it was front of people or not,” Stoops said. “Making decisions, running the offense, he did a really good job of it.
“It was exciting to see.”
On a team with 16 starters returning and so few questions remaining, the matter of who will be backing up Landry Jones next season seemed to be one of the most pressing issues of the spring.
Allen backed up Jones last season, but only attempted 14 passes and never played a meaningful down the entire season, prompting the belief that Bell, a former 5-star recruit, could make a push for the position.
Instead, Allen all but confirmed the job is his until further notice.
From the outset, he displayed command in the pocket, engineered OU's patented quick tempo and made several crisp throws downfield.
And on the Red's second possession, Allen found a groove that carried through the rest of the first half. He zipped a pass through traffic to Dejuan Miller across the middle of the field for a 20-yard first down. Came back to Kenny Stills for 10 yards on a quick out. Then, recognizing he had a free play when the defense jumped, Allen hummed a pass over the outstretched hands of cornerback Joe Powell and into the arms of Miller at the far pylon for a 16-yard touchdown.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 16804Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8821OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6453Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5885Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5756OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4970Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4920Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater