OU regents to discuss conference realignment Monday
The Board of Regents for the University of Oklahoma will be discussing conference realignment at its Monday meeting in Tulsa.
NORMAN — The University of Oklahoma's Board of Regents will at least discuss conference realignment at a regularly scheduled meeting Monday afternoon in Tulsa.
Videoview all videos
Sep 16Last year, the Sooners easily handled the Seminoles in...
Sep 15How will Florida State's defense handle Ryan Broyles?...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The board made that known Thursday when its agenda was made publicly available, required by open records laws.
The penultimate item on the entire schedule — which includes myriad matters concerning OU, Rogers State and Cameron University — is simply called “Conference Alignment.”
An asterisk accompanies the item, noting that the board could go into executive session to talk about OU's athletic future. It likely would do that, to prevent the presence of reporters for the discussion.
The unabridged agenda later says the board “will discuss potential legal ramifications of athletic conference realignment options.” It says the members will “consider new athletic conference membership.”
Finally, it says they will “take any appropriate action.”
The Big 12 and, in a sense, the rest of the college football world has been in a holding pattern for the past week or so, waiting for someone to make the next move in this conference chess game. Texas A&M made the first this summer, saying it would withdraw from the Big 12 if it found another conference partner.
The SEC was presumed all along to be that partner, and it moved forward to bring in the Aggies' as the conference's 13th member. After initially signing off on the decision, a few Big 12 schools – Baylor, in particular - made it known they would not waive their rights to legal action of Texas A&M's move led to the fall of the Big 12. That stalled the move becoming official, because of the SEC's hesitancy to welcome Texas A&M with a legal cloud hanging over it.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10625Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9988Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9782Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6778Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4215Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4087Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates