OU regents to discuss conference realignment Monday
The Board of Regents for the University of Oklahoma will be discussing conference realignment at its Monday meeting in Tulsa.
Videoview all videos
Sep 16Last year, the Sooners easily handled the Seminoles in...
Sep 15How will Florida State's defense handle Ryan Broyles?...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Boren said Sept. 2 that a resolution – one way or another - would come about in “the next two to three weeks,” placing the week ahead and Monday's regents meeting at the far end of that window of time.
OU's interest in the Pac-12 extends beyond the athletic world, to academia. Boren has told associates he would like to align his school with academic powerhouses such as Cal and Stanford.
Sources familiar with negotiations have said the Pac-12 would ideally like a package that would include OU and Texas. Oklahoma State and Texas Tech would likely also be involved, because of their links to the states' flagship schools, to push Pac-12 membership to 16 – and so-called “superconference” status.
It still remains unclear whether OU and OSU would receive the necessary votes to enter the Pac-12 without Texas. Some close to the talks say it has been discussed and OU and OSU would be in. Others are not so sure, saying Texas means more to league expansion than it has been perceived.
OU sources have said the school believes it would be accepted without Texas, but they were not firm in their wording about those prospects. Nine of 12 Pac-12 presidents would have to approve any decision. Those presidents have been polled informally – and OU and OSU received support - but no formal meeting has been held.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14189Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12474Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 11484OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9977Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8873Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 7409Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 7240Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated