OU Report Card: Bob Stoops' timeout, Oklahoma's pass rush move to the head of the class
The Oklahoman's Berry Tramel hands out the grades for Oklahoma's 23-20 victory over Nebraska in the Big 12 Championship football game. Punter Tress Way, a Sooner pass rush that recorded seven sacks and Bob Stoops' strategic timeout earn the highest marks.
CLUTCH PUNTING: A
Tress Way hit a couple of clunkers, but when the Sooners needed him, he came up big. Way's 55-yard punt on a snap that started from the OU 19-yard line with two minutes left reversed the field.
Videoview all videos
Dec 5Travis Lewis and the Sooners rallied from 17 points down...
Dec 5Berry Tramel, Jake Trotter and Jenni Carlson examine the...
Photoview all 73 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
PASS RUSH: A
Seven sacks? Phenomenal pass rush, and sackmaster Jeremy Beal didn't even have any of the seven. Pryce Macon had three as Husker quarterback Taylor Martinez ran for his life most of the night.
RED-ZONE OFFENSE: D
Five trips inside the Nebraska 20-yard line resulted in 16 points. That's a good way to get beat. The Sooners settled for four field goals (made three of them) on drives in which they had first down at the NU 14-, 16- and 3-yard lines, plus 3rd-and-2 from the Husker 9-yard line. OU's only red-zone touchdown came after Kenny Stills' 30-yard reception put the Sooners a half yard from the goal line.
RUN DEFENSE: B
The Huskers were very effective with tailbacks Roy Helu Jr. and Rex Burkhead, who combined for 181 yards on 27 carries. But the Sooners put the clamps on Martinez, a running whiz who even discounting sacks had just 16 yards on seven carries.
OFFENSIVE TRICKS: B
If this was offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson's final game â€” who knows, maybe he lands the Indiana job â€” he went out with a bang. A shovel pass, a counter sweep we hadn't seen, the naked bootleg. Wilson was on his game.
CONSPIRACY EVIDENCE: F
Those who believe the Big 12 is out to cheat Nebraska were dealt a setback. The Huskers were called for just three penalties (15 yards) while the Sooners had six for 47 yards. Plus, two plays were reviewed â€” a fumbled interception by Nebraska's Courtney Osborne and Stills' 31-yard touchdown reception â€” and while both seemed too close to call, both went Nebraska's way. Osborne's fumble was overruled, setting up a Husker touchdown, and Stills' TD was wiped out, though OU scored a play later.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister