OU report card: Sooners get high marks all around
DEFENSIVE SCORING: A
The Sooners were the only Big 12 team without a non-offensive touchdown, but that ended three plays into the second half, when Ronnell Lewis jumped a slant rout, intercepted Robert Griffin's pass and returned it 12 yards for a touchdown. Then the kickoff team added a safety.
Videoview all videos
Nov 21Berry Tramel has highlights and interviews from OU's...
Nov 21Berry Tramel and Jake Trotter break down the Oklahoma win...
Photoview all 21 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
OFFENSIVE DISCIPLINE: A
Zero offensive penalties. And Kenny Stills proved he's a willing learner. Stills outraged Bob Stoops last week with a dramatic spike of the ball after a touchdown against Texas Tech, but Stills was a statue after hauling in a 49-yard touchdown pass from Landry Jones.
DEFENSIVE DISCIPLINE: D
The Sooners had just three first-half penalties, but all were of the stupid variety. They ran into (Marcus Trice) or roughed (Corey Nelson) the punter twice, hit Griffin out of bounds (Quinton Carter) and got into a heated exchange as the half ended. Frank Alexander, defending teammate Jeremy Beal, appeared to throw a punch during the scrum, but a Big 12 spokesman said unless a penalty was called (it wasn't), Alexander shouldn't face a possible suspension.
The Sooners used the hurry-up offense to great success, for short-yardage first downs and drawing substitution penalties from Baylor.
PASS PROTECTION: B
Jones was well-protected in the first half, when this was a game. The only Sooner who didn't protect Jones was Stoops, who had Jones in the game with a 50-10 lead late in the third quarter. Jones took two hard hits that made you cringe for his ribs, then later was the victim of a roughing-the-quarterback penalty. Why risk injury with a 40-point lead?
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10959Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10925Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9866Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9099Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5228Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4380Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3947OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M