OU Report Card: Sooners prove it is better to receive
BERRY TRAMEL'S OU REPORT CARD: The biggest difference in Oklahoman's 48-20 Fiesta Bowl victory over Connecticut ws between the receiving corps.
You'd think the biggest difference in these teams would be quarterback, where OU has a guy threatening Sam Bradford records and UConn has a guy who completed less than 50 percent of his passes. But no. The biggest difference in these teams were the receiving corps. Broyles' TD was a magic act, plus he had 13 catches for 170 yards. Cameron Kenney was sensational, with seven catches for 154 yards. And Kenny Stills added eight catches for 73 yards.
Videoview all videos
Jan 2Oklahoma had little trouble ending its five-game losing...
Jan 2Berry Tramel and Jake Trotter break down the OU blowout...
Photoview all 37 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Kickoff coverage: D.
A 34-yard return gave UConn confidence to try to move the ball in the final two minutes of the first half, leading to a field goal. Then Robbie Frey's 95-yard kickoff return for a touchdown put the Huskies back in the game after OU took a 34-10 lead. Even lumbering fullback Anthony Sherman returned a squib kick 26 yards. This is getting ridiculous. Time to hire a special-teams coordinator, Bob Stoops.
The Pac-10 crew might have sent shivers up Sooner spines before the game, but the Fiesta Bowl was expertly called. Few flags. The players were allowed to play, even the defensive backs. Both teams could have been called for pass interference once, but weren't. And no play was sent to replay until Ryan Broyles' tip-toe touchdown catch with 7:49 left in the game.
Jeremy Beal: A.
The stalwart defensive end was his usual superb self, but in his final OU game, Beal was most effective on run plays, twice running down UConn star Jordan Todman from behind on sweeps.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21368Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17546Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12345Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9430Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9175Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9080Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8212Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense