OU spring football: Iowa transfer Brandon Wegher leaves Sooners
Running back Brandon Wegher, who transferred from Iowa to OU in the offseason, is no longer with the team, coach Bob Stoops said following Wednesday's practice.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
"Yeah, he's not with us anymore," Stoops said. "That didn't last real long.
Wegher, who rushed for an Iowa freshman record eight touchdowns in 2009, left the Hawkeyes for “personal reasons” and later announced he would transfer.
He enrolled at OU as a walk-on but was going to have to sit out the upcoming season due to transfer rules.
“We've got a few backs as it is,” Stoops said, “so we'll be OK.”
TAKING IT EASY WITH BOX
The Sooners plan to be cautious this spring with starting middle linebacker Austin Box, whose career was nearly ended last year by a preseason back injury, which forced him to miss the first five games. Box has been sitting out OU's spring practices thus far.
“Austin has played a lot of football,” Stoops said .”I don't need to see him a whole lot in the spring. We're not going to be overzealous and risk losing him in the spring.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 83827Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 81813Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 34696Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 28482Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 15922Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 12591Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 8828Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman