OU-West Virginia game was like no other when it came to statistics
Sooners football historian Mike Brooks can mine the numbers like no other — and a lot of numbers came out of OU's 50-49 wild ride win over West Virginia
Videoview all videos
Nov 18Landry Jones threw for 554 yards and 6 touchdowns, four...
Nov 18Berry Tramel and Jason Kersey recap the Sooners' 50-49...
Photoview all 21 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
* OU was outrushed by 350 yards. I don't know if that's an NCAA record for a winning team, but it ought to be.
* OU gave up 9.7 yards per rush. That's the most in Sooner history. No. 2 on the list was West Virginia in the Fiesta Bowl, 8.95. No. 3 on the list? OSU, 8.42 last season.
* The early theories that West Virginia 2012 smacked of Baylor 2011 were right on, except a different result. Saturday night, the teams' combined total offense of 1,440 set an OU record. The previous record? Baylor last year, 1,221.
* Before Saturday, OU had allowed at least 400 yards rushing only once, against that great 1997 Nebraska team (409). The Mountaineers broke that record by 49 yards. They also broke the total offense record by 162 yards.
* That Colorado game in 1980 had been the record most points allowed in an OU victory. That's West Virginia's record now. No. 3 on the list is OSU, which scored 41 points in defeat in both 2008 and 2010.
Now the Sooners play the Cowboys on Saturday. And statistically, OSU's offense is better than West Virginia's. Keep the phone on you, Mister Brooks.
Berry Tramel: Berry can be reached at (405) 760-8080 or at email@example.com. He can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including FM-98.1. You can also view his personality page at newsok.com/berrytramel.