OU's James Fraschilla witnesses end of Dallas standoff
Sophomore guard's pictures of man plummeting to his death circulate around the Internet.
James Fraschilla wasn't sure what to expect when he grabbed his camera early Tuesday morning and posted up near a man's standoff with Dallas police.
NewsOK Related Articles
Lee Dell Thomas Jr., suspected of stealing a rental truck Monday, climbed to the top of a 150-foot crane near the campus of Southern Methodist University and stayed there for 14 hours, dropping items from the crane.
“I just wanted to capture the whole scene,” Fraschilla said.
Fraschilla, a sophomore guard on Oklahoma's basketball team, and his brother went to view the situation earlier Monday. They live close to the SMU campus.
The standoff continued for hours after that, so Fraschilla returned at around 12:30 a.m.
When police sneaked up on Thomas in the crane's cab, he went over the edge and clung to it for a few moments before falling to his death just before 2 a.m.
Fraschilla captured photographs of Thomas hanging on to the edge and falling from it.
“He was hanging and eventually just let go,” Fraschilla said. “I don't know if he chose to let go or he slipped.”
When Fraschilla, a broadcasting major at OU, realized what he had, he rushed home, uploaded his photographs and began tweeting them to several media outlets.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 20835Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17666Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12055Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10703Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 9067Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8577Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8462Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments