OU's Jeff Capel maintains calm presence for Sooners
NORMAN - Jeff Capel stands before the Sooners bench. Calm. Cool. In control.
Close games, controversial calls, turnover troubles — it's almost always the same.
NewsOK Related Articles
And it's not an act.
"My dad used to talk about the duck theory," Capel said. "You see a duck swimming, and it always looks like he's calm up top, but below, he may be paddling like crazy."
Still, Capel is not a screamer. Or a stomper. Not a whiner.
But a winner.
And his demeanor might have something to do with it.
While plenty of coaching crazies have managed their share of success, Capel's calm and reassuring presence seems to flow over and through his Sooners, who have shown an uncanny ability to maintain composure and pull through in crunch time.
That doesn't mean Capel doesn't have his moments or doesn't get nervous or doesn't question himself.
His policy, however: never let them see him sweat.
"I want my guys to see me calm," Capel said. "I don't want them to see me looking nervous or anything, because to me, if they see me nervous, it gives them a reason to be nervous.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 81708Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16515OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12409Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12217Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12064Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 10403Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9163How to help tornado victims