OUTLOOK: Making literacy a priority in Oklahoma
With only 9 percent of Oklahoma adults performing at a proficient reading level, the state has set out to lead the nation in literacy initiatives.
The Founding Fathers worried about the possibility of creating a nation whose majority could not read or communicate effectively and yet are meant to govern themselves.Were that the case, only a small percentage of those who vote would fully understand the laws on which they were voting. Fraud would become more prevalent for those who could not read...
View full article on Oklahoman.com
How do I get Full Access?
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 31040Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15616Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10323Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9726Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9655Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8284Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8255Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena