Packers' D gashed in 45-31 playoff loss to 49ers
"We didn't handle the read option very good and we didn't handle the quarterback getting out of the pocket," coach Mike McCarthy said. "You may not have noticed, but we did have a spy on him at times."
It just didn't matter.
Then the power running took over from there with Gore and Anthony Dixon each running for short scores that turned the tight game into a blowout.
It was another example of how San Francisco is a completely different team than the one that beat the Packers in Green Bay in September with the elusive Kaepernick having replaced Alex Smith at quarterback. The Packers seemed unprepared for Kaepernick's zone-read plays and scrambles, and they now will have all offseason to figure out how to handle them in the future.
"The one thing it does is it kind of makes you a little bit indecisive in what you want to do," Woodson said. "You want to shoot in there, but he may hold the ball and take it outside. If you go outside, he might give it to the running back and take it up the middle. It's one of those things that makes you play flat footed a little bit."
They even struggled when the Niners went to the air, allowing Kaepernick to throw for 263 yards and two first-half touchdowns to Michael Crabtree.
"To win a game, you need to make a team one dimensional, take away the run and make them beat you throwing," Hawk said. "That was our plan coming in but it didn't work out. It's crazy to end the season so abruptly like this but we know that's how it works in the playoffs."
That all proved to be too much for even last year's NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers to overcome. He threw for 257 yards and two touchdowns, but also was intercepted once and couldn't keep up with Kaepernick.
Online: http://pro32.ap.org/poll and http://twitter.com/AP_NFL
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort