Pacts in MF Global liquidation could free up cash
With the agreements in hand, "we will move quickly to get money in agreed claimaints' pockets at the earliest opportunity," Heis said.
Giddens has been combing through the accounts of MF Global since it filed for bankruptcy protection in October 2011. MF Global, which was headed by former New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine, collapsed after making a disastrous bet on European debt.
Regulators have been investigating whether MF Global tapped money from clients' accounts as its financial condition worsened. That would violate securities laws. Brokerages are required to keep customer money separate from the firm's money.
Much of the money that went missing belonged to farmers, ranchers and other business owners who used MF Global to reduce their risks from the fluctuating prices of commodities such as corn and wheat.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims