Panthers acquire Wellman from Rangers
SUNRISE, Fla. (AP) — The Florida Panthers have acquired center Casey Wellman from the New York Rangers in exchange for a fifth-round pick in the 2014 draft.
Wellman has appeared in 41 NHL games, all with the Minnesota Wild, with four goals and nine assists. He was traded to the Rangers in February and spent this past season in the American Hockey League.
The 24-year-old Wellman played his college hockey at Massachusetts.
Florida general manager Dale Tallon calls Wellman "a young, highly skilled forward" who may have the chance to play both center and right wing with the Panthers.
Florida opens training camp in mid-September.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 73942Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30870Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 27865Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 22757Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6762Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6400Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 6313Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City