Pass the Popcorn, it's time for Oscar!
The Food Dude has popcorn recommendations for your Academy Awards watching experience.
As long as folks have been watching pictures move on a screen, they've also been doing it with their fingers stuffed in a box of popcorn.
When Hollywood goes black-tie-up for the Academy Awards on Sunday night, it's only fitting we dress up those popped kernels of corn in their Sunday best.
NewsOK Related Articles
Old-Time Movie Theater Popcorn
Makes 4 servings
3 tablespoons coconut oil
4 to 5 tablespoons clarified butter, instructions below
Salt to taste
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 4
But popcorn predates film by a good 6,000 years, when Guatemalans learned moisture-sealed corn kernels and their starchy interiors were apt to burst into a tasty treat when heated in fat.
It was Charles Cretors who developed the commercial popcorn machine not too long before Thomas Alva Edison and company figured out how to capture movement on celluloid and project it as a film. Mass-produced popcorn and motion pictures were made for each other. Coconut oil was the popping agent of choice in old-time movie theaters. It's solid at room temperature but melts quickly like shortening. If you want to go old-school for your Oscar-viewing experience try some coconut oil.
But if you want to give your popcorn the red-carpet treatment, try spices and powdered cheeses of your choice. Savory Spice Shop, 4400 N Western Ave., offers a variety of popcorn support, including a variety pack.
If you don't have a popcorn popper, don't want to buy one and recoil at the idea of popcorn sprung to life via microwave, Popcorn Fharmacy, 7518 N May Ave, offers prepopped corn in every conceivable color and flavor. They also have popcorn receptacles and premium popping corn and can provide you with enough to fill your house “Real Genius”-style.
Want to make your popcorn flavor have a theme according to the Best Picture nominees?
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit