Paul Simson wins USGA Senior Amateur
WEST CALDWELL, N.J. (AP) — Paul Simson won the USGA Senior Amateur for the second time in three years, beating Curtis Skinner 4 and 3 on Thursday at Mountain Ridge Country Club.
The 61-year-old Simson, from Raleigh, N.C., is the 14th player to win the tournament twice. He won in 2010 at Lake Nona in Orlando, Fla., and is a three-time British Senior Amateur champion.
"It's an indescribable feeling to win the first one, and to win the second one, I would call it more of a thrill than an honor," Simson said. "I was just so overcome the first time."
The 55-year-old Skinner, from Lake Bluff, Ill., was making his first appearance in the event for players 55 and older.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90799Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction