Paul skips practice for Clippers
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Los Angeles Clippers are poised to open their first playoff series in five years and Chris Paul skipped practice.
The All-Star guard whose December trade helped propel the Clippers to 40 wins — their most since 2006-07 — sat out Friday while recovering from a strained left groin that sidelined him during their last regular-season game.
Paul said he'll be ready to go for Sunday's opener in Memphis, where the Grizzlies closed strongly by winning 11 straight games.
"Starting out on the road is always tough," he said. "But as they always say, the series hasn't started until somebody loses at home. So we need to go and try to get Game 1."
The Clippers sure need him. Paul averaged 19.3 points and 8.7 assists in helping them win two out of three against the Grizzlies, who earned their victory at home in the final meeting this month.
Paul's arrival just before the lockout-shortened season began has led to a dramatic change in the Clippers' fortunes. Besides the playoff berth, he and Blake Griffin gave the team two starters in the All-Star game for the first time and the best winning percentage in franchise history.
"Just the attitude and the way we go about doing things now is completely different," Griffin said. "Our expectation is obviously to make the playoffs, but we're not just OK with that. Now it's about standing and fighting and pushing ourselves to regularly be in contention for championships."
The team had won just 29 and 32 games, respectively, in the previous two seasons.
"A lot of fans tell us how happy they are and stuff like that," Paul said. "But we expected this. It's not enough to say we are in the playoffs, we're here and we're going to try and win."
The Clippers stumbled a bit at season's end, losing three of their last four and in the process home-court advantage. The Grizzlies won their final six games to grab it away. The Clippers' 16-17 road record was fourth-best in the Western Conference.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12757Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9755Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9478Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6719Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4489Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4265Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates