Pauls Valley Hospital Authority files for bankruptcy
Officials vote unanimously to seek bankruptcy protection for the organization that runs the 64-bed Pauls Valley General Hospital.
PAULS VALLEY — Unable to reach payment arrangements with some of its creditors, the Pauls Valley Hospital Authority filed for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection Friday.
SSM Health Care Oklahoma is committed to support Pauls Valley General Hospital as it navigates the bankruptcy process.”
SSM Health Care Oklahoma,
The authority runs the 64-bed Pauls Valley General Hospital, one of two hospitals in Garvin County.
One of the hospital's largest unsecured creditors is electronic billing software company McKesson Provider Technologies, which the authority owes more than $571,000, according to court documents.
Federal mandates required the hospital to upgrade its billing record system with new software. However the nonprofit, municipal hospital has been unable to negotiate a payment arrangement with McKesson, and the company has threatened to cut off its access to patient medical records for nonpayment, said Tim Gamble, Pauls Valley mayor and chairman of the hospital authority.
Attempts to reach a representative from McKesson were unsuccessful on Friday.
St. Anthony Hospital parent company SSM Health Care Oklahoma was in the process of negotiating to purchase Pauls Valley General as recently as October, but the deal has since fallen through, Gamble said. SSM has managed Pauls Valley General since February 2012.
“Due to unforeseen circumstances, they have decided that it was in their best interest not to buy the hospital,” Gamble said.
Gamble declined to comment further on why SSM has decided not to purchase the hospital. The deal would have saved the hospital from bankruptcy, as well as paid for $1.5 million in renovations to the hospital operating room and emergency room, he said.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 10959Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10925Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9866Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9099Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5228Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4380Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3947OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M