Share “Peavy pitches Giants to 8-3 win over Cubs”

Peavy pitches Giants to 8-3 win over Cubs

Published on NewsOK Modified: August 20, 2014 at 11:47 pm •  Published: August 20, 2014

CHICAGO (AP) — Jake Peavy is showing signs of getting back on track, and his timing couldn't be better for the San Francisco Giants.

The 33-year-old right-hander pitched seven solid innings in his fifth start with San Francisco, and the Giants rolled past the Chicago Cubs 8-3 on Wednesday, hours after they won a protest regarding a rain-shortened loss from the night before.

Peavy (2-3) has won two straight after losing his first three starts with San Francisco following a July 26 trade from Boston where he was 1-9.

"I never gave up hope or thought I wasn't going to win," Peavy said. "I didn't really do anything different tonight other than just the team scored and made my job a whole lot easier.

"We've got five or six more starts and I've got to try to find a way to win those with us trying to get in (the playoffs)."

Peavy allowed 10 hits, struck out eight and walked none. Chris Valaika's two-run homer in the second inning accounted for the only runs against him.

Hunter Pence and Andrew Susac homered, and Travis Ishikawa drove in three runs with pair of doubles among three hits to help the Giants strengthen their hold on an NL wild card spot.

The Cubs' Luis Valbuena added a solo homer and a triple in going 3 for 4.

Struggling starter Edwin Jackson (6-14) was hit hard in just 2 2-3 innings, his shortest outing of the season. He allowed seven runs, eight hits and two walks. Jackson has lost seven of eight decisions.

"It's just terrible," Jackson said. "There's no excuse for it, pretty much. Tonight I didn't help myself. I didn't help my team."

Before the game, the Giants won their protest filed with Major League Baseball over Tuesday night's rain-shortened loss that was called in the fifth inning.

A problem in getting the tarp onto the field caused unplayable conditions, and the game was ruled a 2-0 Cubs win after a delay of over four hours. The suspended game will be completed on Thursday before the regularly scheduled game between the teams.

"We needed Jake to get somewhat deep in the game," manager Bruce Bochy said. "A long day tomorrow. We have a lot of innings to play."

MLB ruled the tarp hadn't been properly put away after its previous use, and therefore there was a "malfunction of a mechanical field device under control of the home club."

Continue reading this story on the...