Peggy Gandy: Social Scene
Award, Food Tasting
Event: 2012 Urban Pioneer Awards.
Sponsored By: Plaza District Association.
Where: Skirvin Hilton Hotel.
Honored: Wayne Coyne and Michelle Martin-Coyne were honored for their contributions to that area of town. Wayne Coyne is the lead singer of The Flaming Lips, and Michelle Martin-Coyne is an acclaimed photographer. After growing up in the Classen Ten Penn neighborhood two blocks from the Plaza District, the Coynes purchased their current home there in the 1980s. Over the years they not only saw the decline of the neighborhood but they experienced it. Today they are celebrating the Plaza District's rise as a center for creativity and entrepreneurship in Oklahoma City. The couple are working to re-open the Womb Gallery, bringing international attention to the arts in the city.
FOOD AND SUCH
Event: Taste for Sight.
Sponsored by: Prevent Blindness Oklahoma.
Where: The Greens Country Club.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 22176Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12149Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10702Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8951Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8805Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8651Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8107Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister