Pending death investigations hold up survivors’ benefits
State medical examiner has more than 800 cases yet to get official ruling
More than 800 death investigations are pending with the State Medical Examiner’s Office, some more than a year old, hampering police investigations and depriving survivors of life insurance payments and other benefits, a Tulsa World investigation has found.
The agency is working to eliminate the backlog of cases in which a death certificate has not been finalized, said Chief Medical Examiner Eric Pfeifer. The agency just hired a new pathologist for...
View full article on Oklahoman.com
How do I get Full Access?
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 101883Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13737Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10731Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 9553OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 8470Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7788How to help tornado victims
- 7217Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area