Personal watercraft owners want access to more of Arcadia Lake
Personal watercraft owners want the Edmond City Council to change an ordinance to allow them to ride on all of Arcadia Lake during the weekdays when the lake isn't as busy. Council members will consider the ordinance amendment in August.
EDMOND — Personal watercraft owners want to ride all over Arcadia Lake during the week instead of just inside a 75-acre designated area many refer to as a corral.
Personal watercraft now can be ridden only in a specific area on the south side of Spring Creek Park seven days a week.
Personal watercraft owners Tommy Hannon and Rick Marshall want the city council to amend an ordinance to allow them to ride anywhere on the 1,820-acre lake Monday through Thursday when the lake is not as busy. They first requested a change three years ago.
Members of the city's Fish and Game Commission are against the change. They said the expanded riding area would disturb people fishing at the lake.
Three homeowners in Southlake housing addition told council members they do not want personal watercraft on the south side of the lake because of the noise.
“I am not interested in having them in my backyard,” said John Fitch, a Southlake homeowner.
Fitch, who has lived in the neighborhood 10 years, said he would have to move because of the noise.
“It is disgusting,” Fitch said “The quality of life would just go down tremendously.”
“We don't want the noise,” said Gene Johnson, another Southlake homeowner. “They are not quiet.”
Hannon disagreed that personal watercraft make more noise than boats.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90701Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17035OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12738Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8924Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8598Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8454How to help tornado victims
- 8359Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located