Pet Tale: Adopted 'clown dog' keeps owners laughing
Edmond family's sheltie has been object of affection for many years.
‘Clown dog' keeps family laughing
When Sharon Sigler and her husband decided to bring a new dog into their home, they thought they wanted a puppy. Their previous sheltie died from cancer months earlier.
But part of her, she said, thought adopting a rescue dog would be wonderful.
That's how the Edmond couple came to love Casey, who they adopted from a sheltie rescue in Norman. He had been surrendered by his owner and was in need of love and attention.
“We have never regretted it,” Sigler said in her Pet Tales letter. “He was a ball of energy demanding of attention and constantly making us laugh. We called him our clown dog.”
Casey eventually became Sigler's alarm clock, waking her up every morning at 5 a.m. “He never did figure out the weekend and holiday thing but I did not care,” Sigler said. “Something about being awakened up by a loving pet with tail frantically wagging made me start the day with a smile.”
Casey is 13 years old now. Although Sigler misses Casey's high energy from his earlier years, she said he is still the same loving dog he always was.
“Yes he moves slower, no longer chases Frisbees and most of his day is taken up with naps. However, I still sense the joy he has when I come home from work and love it when he comes up and lays his head in my lap.”
To submit a pet story and photo, email your story and photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to Heather Warlick, The Oklahoman, P.O. Box 25125, Oklahoma City, OK 73125. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. Photos cannot be returned.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad