Keep your pets
safe for Halloween
Halloween safety is an important topic, both for children and pets. Both are highly inquisitive and both can get themselves into trouble when it comes to all those intriguing decorations.
Here are some important tips from the pet-lovers at White Oaks Veterinary Clinic for keeping your pets safe and ensuring a fun “Howl-o-ween.”
Keep jack-o-lanterns with lit candles away from all pets. Strings of lights should be kept with the cords bundled and out of reach. Decorative plastic pieces on lights can look especially inviting but if ingested they can cause choking or intestinal blockage.
All those creative costumes, painted faces and fright wigs can be especially unnerving to pets, so it's wise to keep them in a separate room with white noise playing or a radio to buffer the noise
“Unfortunately, many pets get scared from all the commotion,” Dr. Jennifer Bianchi, owner of White Oaks Veterinary Clinic said. “This can end up as a dog bite or lost pet when they manage to slip out an open door.”
Halloween candy is just as enticing to pets as it is to humans, so keep all candy out of reach, preferably in an upper cupboard. Chocolate is highly toxic for dogs and cats. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. Raisins and macadamia nuts are also bad and can cause kidney damage. If a pet does get to the candy stash, symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures. Call your vet immediately or the Pet Poison Hotline at (800) 213-6680.
Xylitol, a sugar substitute, is in sugarless gum, candies and other sweet treats. It's absorbed rapidly into their bloodstream causing a large release of insulin and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). This can lead to liver failure and even death.
Dr. Bianchi said, “Xylitol is really new, but over the past year we have seen several cases of toxicity that have required days of hospitalization.”
Candy wrappers, if chewed, can cause choking or intestinal blockage.
To submit a pet story and photo, email your story and photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to Heather Warlick, The Oklahoman, P.O. Box 25125, Oklahoma City, OK 73125. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. Photos cannot be returned.