Pet Tales: Ensure your pets have a happy and safe 'Howl-o-ween'

Heather Warlick: Halloween decorations and candy get us into the Halloween spirit but can pose safety risks for pets and children. Here are tips from White Oaks Veterinary Clinic for avoiding some of those hazards.
by Heather Warlick Published: October 29, 2012
Advertisement
;

Xylitol, a sugar substitute, is in sugarless gum, candies and other sweet treats. It's absorbed rapidly into their bloodstream causing a large release of insulin and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). This can lead to liver failure and even death.

Dr. Bianchi said, “Xylitol is really new, but over the past year we have seen several cases of toxicity that have required days of hospitalization.”

Candy wrappers, if chewed, can cause choking or intestinal blockage.

To submit a pet story and photo, email your story and photo to hwarlick@opubco.com or mail it to Heather Warlick, The Oklahoman, P.O. Box 25125, Oklahoma City, OK 73125. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. Photos cannot be returned.

by Heather Warlick
Life & Style Editor
Since graduating from University of Central Oklahoma with a Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, Staff Writer Heather Warlick has written stories for The Oklahoman's Life section. Her beats have included science, health, home and garden, family,...
+ show more


Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    VIDEO: OSU football takes you inside the Sherman Smith Training Center
  2. 2
    Map reveals the most educated town in every state
  3. 3
    Parents risk baby's safety for photo op
  4. 4
    WATCH: Toddler ignores military protocol, hugs mom
  5. 5
    'Apparently' kid scores endorsement deal with Freshpet dog food
+ show more