Petitions seek Oklahoma's peaceful withdrawal from the Union
Since President Barack Obama's re-election, two secession petitions have garnered nearly 19,000 signatures on the White House website; petitions have been filed regarding 36 states.
WASHINGTON — Since President Barack Obama's re-election last week, two petitions have been filed with the White House seeking a peaceful withdrawal of Oklahoma from the United States.
Both petitions quote the Declaration of Independence and seek to “peacefully grant the State of Oklahoma to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own NEW government.”
The petitions were filed electronically on a section of the White House website called “We the People.” The petitions combined had 18,720 signatures as of Tuesday evening. Many of the signatures were not those of Oklahomans.
The first petition was created Saturday by someone calling himself “Matthew M of Owasso.” The second petition was created Sunday by “david t of Grove.”
Secession petitions from 36 states had been filed by Tuesday, many with wording similar to the Oklahoma petitions. A petition from Texas to withdraw from the Union had more than 83,000 signatures Tuesday evening.
The White House website states that petitions that garner at least 25,000 signatures within 30 days of their filing would receive an official response.
Along with the secession requests, petitions have been filed to deport people who sign secession petitions.
And there was one filed to allow the city of Austin, Texas, to withdraw from the state of Texas but remain part of the United States.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 88863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16945OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12611Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12094Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 9737Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9076Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8890Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation