Philly officer who punched woman at parade charged
Messages left Thursday with the Fraternal Order of Police weren't immediately returned.
Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said he supported Williams' decision and said officers need to be very careful in how they use force.
"We have to always be mindful of the fact that we have a responsibility not to overreact," even in tough situations, Ramsey said.
Williams said he felt the misdemeanor charge was appropriate and that the use of force did not rise to the level of a felony, such as aggravated assault.
A disorderly conduct charge against Guzman was withdrawn. Mayor Michael Nutter has apologized to her, saying he was "appalled," ''sickened" and "ashamed" after seeing the video, which went viral on YouTube.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13258OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7144Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7131Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6694Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6025Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5256Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers