It’s actually been more than a month since we unveiled out new photo galleries, but it seems like a fine time to get your feedback on our photo galleries on NewsOK.
Here’s the background …
They did a lot of work to the infrastructure of our photos. A lot of that work isn’t apparent to the naked eye:
- Making each image more easily findable through search engines
- Providing a true landing page for each photo
- Allowing images to be a part multiple galleries
- Offering commenting on individual images
- Improving sharing functions across social media
- Bringing a wider variety of photos into gallery presentation from our vast supply of Associated Press images from around the world
The designers also gave the web presentation a nice face lift, making the photos larger and improving the user interface. We also added Facebook commenting to each image so make it easy to post to your Facebook wall.
It’s just the beginning, though. One of the reasons we didn’t make a big deal about the change late in 2011 is the fact that we expect so many more improvements in how we display images to the user. This launch of our photo galleries appeared merely cosmetic to the everyday NewsOK user, but we did a lot of work that will make our future improvements to NewsOK’s overall product easier to implement.
We see our images as an asset that has great potential for growth. That goes for the great work of our photographers at The Oklahoman and the wide variety of photos that we get daily from AP.
We already see great web traffic on our photo galleries, and our changes in recent months and the changes yet to come are designed to improve the reach of our photos.