VETS DAY PARADE
A man holds several small flags in the same hand that carries a pole bearing a larger American flag. The city of Midwest City teamed with civic leaders and local merchants to display their appreciation for veterans and active military forces by staging a hour-long Veteran's Day parade that stretched more than a mile and a half along three of the city's busiest streets Monday morning, Nov. 12, 2012. Hundreds of people lined the parade route, many of them waving small American flags that had ben distributed by volunteers who marched near the front of the parade. A fly-over performed by F-16s from the138th Fighter Wing, Oklahoma Air National Guard unit in Tulsa thrilled spectators. Five veterans representing military personnel who served in five wars and military actions served as Grand Marshals for the parade. Leading the parade was the Naval Reserve seven-story American flag, carried by 100 volunteers from First National Bank of Midwest City, Advantage Bank and the Tinker Federal Credit Union. The flag is 50 feet by 76 feet, weighs 110 pounds and was sponsored by the MWC Chapter of Disabled American Veterans. Photo by Jim Beckel, The Oklahoman
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6703Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6459Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5978Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients
Send me a copy of this email.