Darrell Royal, 1924-2012
"This was a close call for the Sooners at New Orleans as (University of North Carolina) end Art Weiner took this perfect pass from Charlie Justice in the Oklahoma end zone in front of Oklahoman Darrell Royal, but the North Carolinian dropped the ball and the Tar Heel scoring bid misfired. Oklahoma led at the half, 7-6, than came back in the third quarter with a second counter to put the game on ice. The victory was the Big Seven's first in a major bowl." The Sooners downed the Tar Heels 14-6 in the 1949 Sugar Bowl. Staff photo taken 1/1/49; photo ran in the 1/2/49 Daily Oklahoman. File: College Football/OU/OU-North Carolina/Sugar Bowl/Darrell Royal/1949
- Ex-University of Texas coach Royal dies at age 88 - 2012-11-07
- Darrell Royal coached the Texas Longhorns, but he was still 'one of us' - 2012-11-07
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 71664Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31265Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 29267Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 20588Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6679Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6629Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6010Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 5747Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 5482Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 5176Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients
Send me a copy of this email.