Darrell Royal, 1924-2012
"This was a close call for the Sooners at New Orleans as (University of North Carolina) end Art Weiner took this perfect pass from Charlie Justice in the Oklahoma end zone in front of Oklahoman Darrell Royal, but the North Carolinian dropped the ball and the Tar Heel scoring bid misfired. Oklahoma led at the half, 7-6, than came back in the third quarter with a second counter to put the game on ice. The victory was the Big Seven's first in a major bowl." The Sooners downed the Tar Heels 14-6 in the 1949 Sugar Bowl. Staff photo taken 1/1/49; photo ran in the 1/2/49 Daily Oklahoman. File: College Football/OU/OU-North Carolina/Sugar Bowl/Darrell Royal/1949
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11731OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9188Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6809Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5811Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5608Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4406Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 4394Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4389Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 4190OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3756As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients
Send me a copy of this email.