Pick 6: Resetting the Heisman Trophy race
JARVIS JONES, lb, Georgia — If Te'o makes the list, no reason for Jones not to. He was thoroughly dominant against Missouri and as a pass rusher he'll have be able to toss around those sack stats, which are far more appealing than plain old tackles. The All-American has 4.5 sacks in three games. Key games: at South Carolina, Oct. 6; vs. Florida, Oct. 27.
AJ McCARRON, qb, Alabama — McCarron won't be able to compete with guys like Manuel and Smith when it comes to sheer numbers, though the fourth-best passer rating in the country and 10 touchdown passes through four games is nothing to scoff at. Alabama's offense isn't built that way and the Tide look so good right now, who knows how many more fourth quarters McCarron will spend mostly watching from the sideline. Still, he's more than just a game-manager. Key games: at LSU, Nov. 3; possibly the SEC championship, Dec. 1.
COLLIN KLEIN, qb, Kansas State — His passes aren't pretty and his runs aren't flashy, but Optimus Klein is really tough to stop. A humble but tenacious wrecking-ball of a quarterback, he's got just enough Tebow in him to make him a voter favorite. Key games: at West Virginia, Oct. 20; vs. Texas, Dec. 1.
Follow Ralph D. Russo at www.Twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 96630Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13870Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9391Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8546Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 8291OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 7627How to help tornado victims
- 7193Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges