Texas authorities identify missing Oklahoma teen killed in attempted robbery
The bodies of Kenneth Chaffin, 17, who went missing after stealing weapons and a pickup Monday, and Dillon King, 18, were identified Wednesday after they were killed in an attempted robbery in Texas.
Two Bethel Acres residents were found dead of apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds, including one inside the pickup stolen by a missing Pottawatomie County teenager, after a robbery attempt in northern Texas, authorities said.
Videoview all videos
Mar 21The bodies of Kenneth Chaffin, 17, who went missing after...
Photoview all photos
The deceased were identified as Kenneth Chaffin, 17, and Dillon King, 18, said Pottawatomie County Undersheriff J.T. Palmer.
Photographs of Chaffin and King were sent to Texas authorities, who identified them by sight, but the Texas state medical examiner will officially identify them, Palmer said.
Next of kin were notified Wednesday night, he said.
Chaffin reportedly stole a pickup, prescription narcotics, guns and ammunition from his Bethel Acres home Monday night.
About 12:20 p.m. Wednesday, a woman was in her Ellis County, Texas, home when she heard someone try to open the back door. She contacted her husband, who was in the area. The husband drew a gun on the robbers, who ran from the home, firing as they went, said Jo Ann Livingston, spokeswoman for the Ellis County sheriff's office in Texas.
Although the husband hit one of the robbers, he apparently died from a self-inflicted wound in an adjacent field. The other robber was found in the pickup stolen in Oklahoma, also dead by his own hand.
The husband suffered a superficial wound and was treated at the scene, Livingston said.
The incident happened about two miles southeast of Maypearl, which is south of the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments