Pistons hold off Kings 103-97 for 3rd straight win
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) — Austin Daye had only one thought when he caught a pass on the right wing on the game's crucial possession.
"Don't pass it. Shoot it," he said.
Not that he had much choice.
With the shot clock running down, Daye made a 3-pointer with 11.5 seconds left, helping the Detroit Pistons seal a 103-97 win over the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday night.
Daye's shot — after a pressured Tayshaun Prince found him with a pass — gave the Pistons a six-point lead.
"When I get the ball with time left on the clock, I'm trying to get off a good shot," Daye said. "Tayshaun found me in a good spot and I let it go."
Greg Monroe had 18 points and 11 rebounds for the Pistons, who have won three in a row for the first time this season. Sacramento cut a 16-point fourth-quarter deficit to one, but Detroit was able to hold on.
The Pistons have won five of six, in large part because of terrific play from their reserves. The group scored 44 points Tuesday despite losing Charlie Villanueva to a second-quarter ejection.
DeMarcus Cousins had 21 points and 14 rebounds for the Kings.
The Pistons led 89-73 before Sacramento's late rally. The Kings had a chance to take the lead with Detroit in front 96-95, but the Pistons forced a shot clock violation when Prince blocked a shot.
"We were our own worst enemy. We went real stale offensively," Pistons coach Lawrence Frank said. "We're fortunate to win the game."
Monroe made one of two free throws with 1:26 remaining, and Aaron Brooks turned the ball over at the other end. After Brandon Knight made a free throw, Jimmer Fredette's driving attempt was short. Detroit's Will Bynum made it a five-point game with two free throws.
The Kings would have had one more chance to tie, but just when it looked as if they were going to get a crucial defensive stop, Daye connected for his second 3-pointer of the game.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister