H: ° L: °,
Plan would let Bethany tap MAPS for Kids fund
Bethany Public Schools could tap into money from future MAPS for Kids projects under a bill that may appear on the House floor next week.
It stems from the exclusion of Bethany schools, despite it being surrounded by Oklahoma City, from use of the $512 million, seven-year city sales tax passed in late 2001. Only school districts with property inside Oklahoma City were allowed money.
"They weren't in the mix," said Jim Couch, city manager for Oklahoma City, referring to Bethany's role in the MAPS for Kids money distribution. "The Bethany school district isn't in Oklahoma City. Every other school district participating has a portion inside Oklahoma City."
Senate Bill 873 seeks to ensure that money follows children whose parents pay taxes in Oklahoma City, said bill author Sen. Glenn Coffee, R-Oklahoma City. As many as 300 students transfer from other districts into the 1,500 student Bethany schools, which occupy a one-square- mile area.
Although it would not allow Bethany access to the current MAPS for Kids money, future projects could provide money for the district.
Mayor Mick Cornett said the proposed change would not result in a tax increase for city residents, or affect the funding for Oklahoma City Public Schools. He said the change would affect other suburban school districts that did participate in MAPS for Kids.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister