Plans for Walmart grocery in Edmond meet resistance
Residents of neighborhoods near the planned site for a Walmart Neighborhood Market grocery store in Edmond have expressed concerns about its effects on the area.
A special permit would allow Walmart to open the store despite the zoning restriction. Other types of businesses could be built on the property without the permit, even if residents were opposed.
Walmart will seek the approval of the Edmond Planning Commission at the commission's Nov. 20 meeting. The permit request will then be forwarded to the Edmond City Council for consideration at its Dec. 10 meeting.
The council will consider the permit along with whether the planning commission recommended approval or denial, along with information about why the commission made its decision. But council members are not bound in any way by the commission's recommendation.
Fees said people who are interested in the issue should plan to attend the commission and council meetings to provide input and receive more information.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims