Playing “what if” with potential NBA championship parade routes
Oklahoman business columnist ponders how the Thunder and the city might have routed a parade had the team won the NBA Finals last month.
When the Dallas Mavericks reached the NBA Finals in 2011, and when the Heat did as well last month, parade routes were plotted out in both teams' hometowns before the outcomes were known.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Officials with Oklahoma City, the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber and the Thunder all say they had no such plans or parade routes decided as the Thunder faced off against the Heat for the big trophy.
Now that the hoopla is all over, however, one can at least ponder the challenges the team and civic leaders might have faced planning a parade.
Anyone who visited downtown this past year knows the streets are a mess. It's still bewildering to contemplate that some in the city thought downtown could have begun hosting a yearly Grand Prix race in 2011.
The most scenic streets downtown are a construction zone. Broadway is torn up at Sheridan Avenue, which in turn is torn up through Robinson Avenue, which is torn up at Main and Park Avenue, which both are torn up at Hudson, which is torn up in many, many places.
One might contemplate a parade route could have avoided such obstacles if it followed along Automobile Alley (Broadway between NW 10 and NW 4) and then along E.K. Gaylord Boulevard with a finale in Bricktown.
That parade starts and ends well, but the stretch along E.K. Gaylord Boulevard, a virtual cavern between the BNSF Railway viaduct to the east and parking garages to the west, is a brutal sight — and not one that would best present the city to a national television audience.
Maybe a parade route could have followed along Sheridan Avenue and then doubled back along the Bricktown Canal. The question then is whether Bricktown could safely handle such large crowds in such a confined space. Would police once again worry about the sort of violence that occurred during the final Thunder Alley festival?
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 33223Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15512Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9978Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9860Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9472Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8063Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8003Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister