Green Chile Runza
About two bites into a batch of bierocks, green chile came to mind. Hamburger, onions and cabbage are great, but they ain't green chile.
For the filling
2 pounds 80-20 ground chuck
2 cups green chile sauce
8 ounces grated Monterrey Jack or Queso Blanco
1 onion chopped
2 to 3 serrano chiles chopped, optional
For the buns
¾ cup milk
¾ cup water
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup granulated sugar
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon highly active, instant or rapid-rise yeast
2 large eggs: one whisked by itself, another whisked in a little water for egg wash
For the filling
• Brown the beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain the browned beef in a colander and use a wooden spoon to break up clumps of beef.
• Wipe the skillet clean, reheat over medium-high heat and combine sauce and beef. Lower heat to medium and simmer 10 to 20 minutes, until sauce has reduced out liquid and combined well with beef.
• Remove from heat and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
• Grease a large mixing bowl with butter. Combine water, butter and milk in a two-cup measuring cup and microwave for 90 seconds.
• Fill the bowl of a stand mixer with flour, salt and yeast. Using the dough hook, stir the dry ingredients about 30 seconds.
• Test the water-milk-butter mixture, making sure the temperature doesn't exceed 110 degrees. Mix well to ensure sugar is dissolved.
• With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the water, milk, butter and sugar. Then add the beaten egg. Mix at low another minute, then increase the speed to medium.
Continue reading this story on the...