Police: 2 fatal accidents were alcohol-related
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — State police say two fatal crashes over the Christmas holiday involved impaired drivers.
A passenger, 54-year-old Carol Reppond of Magnolia, died after a Christmas Eve accident south of Dover. On Christmas Day, 27-year-old Jose Rodriguez died after he overturned his sport-utility vehicle on Interstate 495.
Police say 57 people have been injured and five have died in impaired-driving crashes since Thanksgiving. That's a major increase from the same period last year, when two people were killed over the holidays and 24 were hurt.
Police say there have been nearly 4,800 DUI arrests in Delaware since the beginning of the year. The Office of Highway Safety says four checkpoints are scheduled for this weekend, and 328 have been arrested for driving under the influence as part of the checkpoint program.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 89652Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 73465Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 36350Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 35145Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 14325Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 13653Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 11646Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive