Police: Ex-Yankee Pascual Perez killed in home
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — Police in the Dominican Republic say former major league pitcher Pascual Perez has been killed in his home during an apparent robbery.
A statement from police in the Caribbean country says Perez was attacked by several people inside his home in a town west of the capital. He had been struck in the head but the cause of death has not been released. No suspects are in custody.
The 55-year-old Perez last played in the majors with the New York Yankees in 1991. He was suspended in 1992 following two positive tests for cocaine. In recent years, he has had kidney problems.
He made his major league debut in 1980 with the Pirates and played 11 seasons, including stints with the Braves and Expos.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims