Police: Man cooperative after firing shots at mall
Officials said one person suffered a minor injury while running away, and was treated at the scene.
The gunfire caused panic, coming a day after a gunman killed 26 children and adults at a Connecticut elementary school, and days after a deadly mall shooting in Oregon.
The Fashion Island mall was crowded with holiday shoppers and the parking lot was full. Many people ran into stores, a movie theater and other businesses.
Some stores voluntarily closed their doors and kept shoppers inside while police investigated.
Gurrola is a licensed security guard whose firearm permit expired in 2001, according to the Orange County Register, which cited state records.
He doesn't appear to have a criminal record, the newspaper reported.
A telephone number for a Marcos Gurrola was disconnected.
On Tuesday, a gunman at an Oregon shopping mall killed two people and wounded a third amid a holiday crowd estimated at 10,000 people. Clackamas County authorities are still trying to determine why the gunman opened fire before killing himself.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21771Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7615Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6773OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6490OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5293Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4032Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater