Police: Wolves F Cunningham sent threatening texts

Published on NewsOK Modified: April 7, 2014 at 9:12 pm •  Published: April 7, 2014
Advertisement
;

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota Timberwolves forward Dante Cunningham posted $150,000 bail and was released from custody Monday night following an initial court appearance for domestic assault charges, with the possibility that more charges could be coming from a second arrest over the weekend.

Cunningham was arrested twice in three days after alleged incidents with the woman he had been living with for the previous eight months. Cunningham was charged Friday with felony domestic assault for allegedly choking the woman.

Police said they received a call from the woman in the early morning hours on Sunday saying that Cunningham had violated a protection order by sending threatening text messages that "rose to a terroristic level." Authorities have not charged Cunningham on those allegations and are continuing to investigate.

Cunningham surrendered Sunday and turned over his cellphone and computer as part of the investigation. The Associated Press left a message with Cunningham's attorney seeking comment.

The Timberwolves said Sunday they were gathering information about Cunningham's latest arrest.

"The situation with Dante Cunningham is very fluid and we continue to monitor all available information," the team said. "We reiterate that the Minnesota Timberwolves do not condone the behavior described in the accusations. We continue to wait for the legal process to run its course and will have further comment when appropriate."