Policy analyst: Government spending continues to climb in Oklahoma
NewsOK Related Articles
The bait of “free” federal money has enticed state agencies to create and expand programs, which has significantly increased state spending to match federal money. Citizens and taxpayers should be encouraged that the governor's secretary of finance and revenue and chief budget negotiator, Preston Doerflinger, wants to see the state approach spending based on both performance- and priority-based budgeting. Equally encouraging, lawmakers are turning their attention to total state spending with the creation of House and Senate committees to review nonappropriated spending.
The Comprehensive Annual Financial Report shows there is much work left to do to focus government spending on core functions.
Small is fiscal policy director at the Oklahoma Council of Public Affairs (www.ocpathink.org).
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 14038Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 9697OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6648Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5284Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5183Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5164OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5129Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater