Popov sorry for spitting incident
WEST BROMWICH, England (AP) — West Bromwich Albion defender Goran Popov has apologized after he was sent off for spitting toward an opponent during a Premier League match against Tottenham.
The Macedonia left back was heavily criticized by his manager and his teammates after being shown a straight red card three minutes into the second half of Sunday's match. Level at 0-0 at the time, West Brom went on to lose 1-0.
Popov says "I just want to say a big sorry to everyone," adding that "over the last two or three nights I have not slept too good."
Popov plans to personally apologize to the player he spat toward — Tottenham defender Kyle Walker — saying "when I get his number, I will call him and just say, 'I'm not a player like this.'"
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M