Pornanong, Icher tied for lead in Brazil Cup
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Thailand's Pornanong Phatlum and France's Karine Icher each 7-under 66 on Saturday to share the first-round lead in the LPGA Tour's 36-hole Brazil Cup exhibition event.
American Katie Futcher was a shot behind at Itanhanga Golf Club, and Norway's Suzann Pettersen matched Brittany Lang and Candie Kung at 68. Paula Creamer and Christina Kim shot 69.
Phatlum and Icher each had eight birdies and a bogey.
"My approach shots and putting were very good today," Phatlum said. "I think I just have to play and focus on my game," Pornanong said. "I just need to have fun tomorrow."
Icher was third last week in the Mobile Bay LPGA Classic.
"My putting was good," Icher said. "At the beginning, the greens were hard to read and slow, too. I had many opportunities at the beginning and I just made one birdie on No. 2 and then par, par, par, par. I was close to the hole, but then I made birdies on eight and nine. It was a good round, a good sensation. I love that course. It's just flat and enjoyable, so it was cool."
Pettersen had even par on the back nine with two birdies and two bogeys.
"It was disappointing not to get to 7 under," Pettersen. "Before I got to the back (nine), I didn't really see anyone's scores. I thought I was doing pretty good until I saw there were a lot of other birdies out there. It's definitely out there. The weather is going to be like this tomorrow and the greens are really soft. It's like throwing darts."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort