MOUNT VERNON, Wash. (AP) — Three people suffered minor burns in an explosion at a Mount Vernon apartment where they were trying to extract hash oil from marijuana by using butane.
Lt. Chris Cammock says firefighters put out flames just before midnight Thursday and the three were treated at Skagit Valley Hospital for burns to arms and faces.
A 2-liter soda bottle was filled with gas for the oil extraction process and something ignited the fumes. The blast shattered a window and damaged walls.
The apartment building was evacuated for two hours while a Washington State Patrol bomb squad made sure there were no more explosives. The Mount Vernon fire marshal closed five units surrounding the damaged apartment for an investigation but residents were later allowed to return.